A Malaysian woman recently took to social media to share a shocking and potentially dangerous dining incident at a hot pot restaurant in the Sutera district.
Malaysian woman discovers battery-like items in hotpot
The customer, Ms. Hoo, who was dining with their 2-year-old child and friends, wrote that she discovered a large battery-like item in their soup after eating for more than an hour.
“The battery had been cooking in the broth for an extended period of time, and luckily, did not explode, which could have led to catastrophic consequences.” she wrote.
Upon discovering the battery, the diners promptly alerted the restaurant staff to investigate the issue.
She also revealed that the restaurant supervisor then claimed to be unaware of the source of the battery and refused to allow the customer to take a photograph of the battery.
However, Ms. Hoo managed to snap a quick picture before handing it over to the supervisor, who later claimed to have disposed of it in the trash.
Besides, Ms. Hoo’s request to review the kitchen’s CCTV footage was denied, as the restaurant’s shareholder stated that the kitchen had no CCTV installed.
Owner only agrees to pay for one-time medical expenses
Concerned for their health, Ms. Hoo then immediately rushed to the hospital to get their child and themselves checked for any potential health risks.
Although no physical injuries were sustained, the family worries about the long-term effects of ingesting heavy metals and plasticizers from the battery-contaminated soup.
The restaurant’s owner initially agreed to cover medical expenses for seven days but later informed the customer they would only pay for one-time medical expenses.
“Any future issues would need to be handled by the customer themselves. The restaurant failed to provide any effective solutions for the incident and has not offered a sincere apology,” she added.
Besides, she also alleged that the owner shifted the responsibility of compensating medical expenses to their employee.
OP speaks to WeirdKaya
Speaking to WeirdKaya, Ms. Hoo revealed that she had contacted the Ministry of Health (MOH) and the Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs (KPDNHEP) to inquire about the incident.
Both agencies informed her that her future health could not be guaranteed, and there was no specific protection available for her in this situation.
Ms. Hoo stated that she initially did not want to affect the restaurant’s reputation and had hoped to settle the matter privately. However, the owner did not respond to her efforts to reach a resolution.
We decided to share the incident publicly a month after it occured because I had spent considerable time attempting to communicate with the restaurant owner.
Besides, during this period, both she and her 2-year-old son fell ill, prompting her to share her story.
Additionally, Ms. Hoo mentioned that the Kuala Lumpur main branch of the restaurant had reached out to the local branch, requesting a meeting with her.
Unfortunately, the meeting proved unproductive as the representatives were unprepared to address the issue adequately.
The family now faces potential health risks due to the restaurant’s negligence.
They urge others to exercise caution when dining out and to thoroughly check their food for foreign objects, especially when eating hot pot, where items may be hidden in the deep broth.