Using staplers or similar dangerous items in food packaging can seriously harm consumers and have severe consequences for their health.
As being said, a Malaysian woman recently shared her alarming experience of her daughter almost swallowing a tiny, sharp staple. She claimed to have discovered a few more staples in the jackfruit fritters she bought.
Taking to her Facebook account, Izza Howzin shared that her daughter was the first one to discover the presence of a staple inside the fritters. It pierced her tongue while she was eating.
Also, she herself experienced the same discovery of staples in the fritter she had.
There were multiple pieces of staple found
“After checking, I found several pieces in the batter. No one intentionally puts them in, but when it happens accidentally… it feels excessively careless,” Izza revealed in the post.
Following that, also urged every food vendors to be careful when handling packages with fine wires, emphasizing the risk of swallowing them.
“If you open a package with fine wires, keep them away from food mixtures. If swallowed, they can pierce the heart or lungs, causing harm to people,” Izza said.
In response to a netizen’s comment, Izza mentioned that she was relieved that her daughter is now a grown-up and able to notice the presence of the staple while eating.
“My child is fortunate, now that she is older, she managed to remove the staple that pierced her tongue. It would be worrisome if this happened to a younger child. Even with fish, I don’t let my kids feed themselves, fearing they might choke or get a bone stuck. It’s only when they grow up that I allow them to eat on their own.”
However, she chose not to inform the food vendor about the discovery of harmful staples in the jackfruit fritters, as she mentioned in her post that it seemed too late to do so.
Some netizens faced similar experiences
In the comments, netizens shared similar experiences and condemned the vendors for neglecting food preparation standards.
“I faced a similar situation. I bought ‘Seri Muka’ kuih the other day, not stapler bullets… found a lump of steel wire from a pot cleaner, hurt my teeth when I bit into it. Aaaaaaa scary!”
“I’ve also encountered stapler wires in glutinous rice cakes. Luckily, my taste buds were still active. Otherwise, I might have swallowed the stapler wire without realizing it.”
“I once found a small piece of dishwashing metal in the food that was already in my mouth.”
“I really, really disagree with the use of staplers in food packaging. What’s wrong with using rubber bands?”
Izza urged all food vendors to be careful
She mentioned that although it is prohibited to use staplers for food packaging, many still use them, including herself, to facilitate the process of packing food.
Izza acknowledged that using staplers for external packaging might be acceptable, but when it comes to the flour mixture, it becomes a serious concern.
She also highlighted that she shared the incident on social media to raise awareness, especially among fellow business owners, urging caution to prevent potential harm.
For those purchasing stapled-packaged food, please ensure to double-check before consuming, and for the vendors, kindly prioritize the safety of customers when preparing and selling food.
Here is the full post: