It is dangerous to leave children unattended as they are not mature enough to differentiate what can be eaten, and what cannot. In a heart-stopping incident, a young child accidentally swallowed a 10-cent coin after mistaking it for a delicious treat.
Swallowed A Coin
According to a TikTok post by Azmeer_mahmud on his account, he became aware of the incident when his daughter came to him crying and complaining about swallowing a coin.
Azmeer then took his child to Hospital Manjung for treatment.
“The doctor asked why she swallowed the coin, and she replied that she thought it was a cookie,” he wrote.
Azmeer explained that the doctor immediately conducted an X-ray scan to determine the position of the coin, which was found in the intestine.
“At that moment, I felt relieved because the coin was not stuck in her throat. The doctor asked us to monitor her for a week. We provided her with plenty of Yakult and bananas to help her ‘pass it out’,” he said.
It was worrying for the first six days as nothing came out. Azmeer was concerned, thinking his daughter might need to be admitted to the hospital and carry out a minor operation to take the coin out.
Fortunately, the coin was successfully passed out by excretion after a week.
Azmeer advised parents to be vigilant about their children’s condition to prevent unwanted incidents.
“Parents who have young children should always keep an eye on them. Alhamdulillah, my child is fortunate,” he said.
The post went viral, garnering over 60k views and 1.7k likes, as of writing.
Not the first
The incident initiated discussions among some parents and some who had swallowed coins when they were younger.
“When I was young, I once accidentally swallowed a 50-cent coin. I didn’t want to hold the money while going to the store to buy snacks, so I put it in my mouth and ended up swallowing it. I went back home feeling somewhat worried.”
“I’ve swallowed a 50-cent coin too and I am not sure if it’s out yet.”
“I swallowed a 10-cent coin too. Thank God I am still alive.”
“My youngest sibling, who is the fourth child and only one year old at the time, once swallowed a gold ring! 😂😂😂 It was quite a challenge to locate it inside their stomach.”
See the post here.