Experiencing a miscarriage is an indescribable and deeply painful journey, where the loss of a pregnancy brings profound emotional anguish and heartache.
Recently, a Malaysian woman who is also an entrepreneur shared the devastating story of losing her nine-month-old baby due to a rare cause – the Toxoplasma gondii virus, commonly found in cat feces.
M’sian woman faced a miscarriage due to cat faeces
Sharing her heartbreaking story through her TikTok account, @dynayusof88, Dyna Yusof explains the reason why she had a miscarriage.
“I am not a cat enthusiast. I have never touched or taken care of cats. Yet, this virus indeed attacked the fetus in my womb,” she captioned in the video.
Dyna, who had experienced a healthy pregnancy with regular prenatal check-ups, was shattered when her doctor delivered the heartbreaking news during the final check-up – her baby’s heart had stopped, and there was no sign of life.
Overwhelmed with grief, she questioned the doctor, struggling to comprehend the sudden loss.
The grim reality unfolded during the autopsy three months later, revealing that the fetus had been infected with the Toxoplasma gondii virus, transmitted through cat feces.
“The doctor detected that the baby’s blood and placenta had the Toxoplasma virus from cats,” Dyna explained in the video.
“To all the mommies out there, please be cautious.” she said.
In the video, Dyna also extends her apology to cat lovers, recognizing the sensitivity of the matter and emphasizing that she has never placed blame on the cats.
Dyna shared her story to raise awareness
Despite the profound sorrow, Dyna chose to share her story on social media to raise awareness among pregnant women about the potential risks associated with animal interactions during pregnancy.
What is Toxoplasmosis?
According to MSD Manual, Toxoplasmosis is an infection caused by a single-celled parasite called Toxoplasma gondii.
Congenital toxoplasmosis results from a primary, often asymptomatic infection acquired by the mother during pregnancy which may causes spontaneous abortion, stillbirth, or birth defects.
The primary way people get infected is by accidentally swallowing oocysts found in food or water contaminated with cat feces.
Eating raw or undercooked meat, especially from lamb, pork, or occasionally beef, can also lead to infection.
This heart-wrenching story of Dyna sheds light on the importance of education and vigilance, emphasizing how crucial it is for pregnant women to stay informed and cautious, prioritizing their health and safety throughout the nuanced process of pregnancy.
Here is the full video: