21yo M’sian Athlete Dies After Getting Kicked By Opponent In Silat Competition

"I don't blame anyone and accept what happened because it was beyond control" - Wan Haikal's father.
In a heart-wrenching turn of events, the family of Terengganu Sukma silat athlete Wan Muhammad Haikal, 21, is grappling with the sudden loss of their beloved son and sibling.

Wan Hussin Wan Ishak, 61, father of Haikal, recounted the harrowing experience of their journey to Tuanku Jaafar Hospital (HTJ) in Seremban, where Haikal tragically passed away after collapsing during a competition at the Coral Height Community Hall in Seremban, Negri Sembilan.

- Advertisements -
Wan muhammad haikal wan hussin, 21, was taking part in a bout when his opponent's kick made him lose consciousness on saturday afternoon, 2 march
Photo via NST

“I started feeling uneasy and sensed something was wrong with my son when I received repeated calls from the doctor while on the way to Tuanku Jaafar Hospital (HTJ) in Seremban. However, I kept my composure because I didn’t want my wife, Hamsah Omar, 52, to panic,” Wan Hussin shared, reflecting on the ordeal.

- Advertisements -

Wan Hussin and his wife embarked on their journey to Seremban around 11.30 pm and arrived at HTJ at 5 am the following day. Throughout the journey, they clung to hope, praying for a miracle, despite the mounting unease spurred by the hospital’s calls, reported NST.

Father of wan muhammad haikal; wan hussin wan ishak
Photo via NST

“As a father, there must be worry, but because I went with my wife. If I showed fear, she would feel it even more, so I had to be strong and not indulge in emotions too much,” Wan Hussin explained, emphasising the need to stay composed for his wife’s sake.

- Advertisements -

Their hopes were dashed when they received the devastating news of Haikal’s passing. “Finally, the uneasy feeling was answered when we were informed that our son was no more. It’s indeed sad, but we accept it because we know everyone will eventually go there (death), and his time has come,” Wan Hussin expressed, resigned to the cruel twist of fate.

Recalling his last interaction with Haikal in early January, Wan Hussin revealed Haikal’s plans to return to the village after the competition. Little did he anticipate that only Haikal’s lifeless body would return home.

“I don’t blame anyone and accept what happened because it was beyond control,” Wan Hussin affirmed.

Haikal’s eldest sister recounted the coach’s distressing call, informing the family of Haikal’s collapse during the competition. The young athlete lost consciousness after being kicked by an opponent, leading to his untimely demise.

Wan muhammad haikal body
Photo via NST

The fourth child out of five siblings, Haikal was confirmed dead at 1.20 am on March 3 while receiving treatment at Tuanku Ja’afar Hospital (HTJ), Seremban.

As the family prepares to bid their final farewell, Haikal’s body will be laid to rest at the Kampung Alor Selising Cemetery after the Isyak prayer.

- Advertisements -

Read also:

Weirdkaya | malaysian' daily dose of social media stories
For more stories like this, follow WeirdKaya on Facebook and Instagram!

We are hiring writers!
We are hiring writers!