KUALA LUMPUR – Just last week, two video of a ‘Karen’ flouting SOPs and arguing with staff while attempting to enter Suria KLCC and Bangsar Shopping Centre (BSC) without a face mask has blown up online, with Malaysians condemning her and calling upon authorities to take stern action.
Since then, local authorities have summoned the woman and issued her a RM3,000 compound for failing to wear a mask and checking in with the MySejahtera app at KLCC.
Read more about it here:
Despite the punishment, many were unhappy and questioned why the woman was given a slap on the wrists without having to face jail time or the RM10,000 compound.

The matter was also brought up by Muar MP Syed Syaddiq, who accused the Ministry of Health (MOH) of practising double standards.

Khairy’s response
The commotion has since led Health Minister Khairy Jamaluddin to address the issue on Twitter.
Kompaun RM10k kerana memakai mask di dagu dikeluarkan pada 12/3/21 selaras dengan ketetapan Ordinan Darurat ketika itu (max RM10k/person, RM50k/organisation). Pada 17/3/21 satu garis panduan untuk penetapan nilai kompaun yang lebih munasabah telah diumumkan. pic.twitter.com/y3arerXyPx
— Khairy Jamaluddin 🇲🇾🌺 (@Khairykj) November 1, 2021
In the tweet. Khairy said the reason why the woman was fined RM1,500 per offense instead of RM10,000 was because the guidelines were revised prior to the incident.
There has been much concern about the compound given to an expatriate recently. Comparisons have been made to earlier compounds at a higher amount. Following complaints earlier this year of compound amounts being too high, new guidelines were introduced.”
“In the case of the man who was given the RM10k compound for wearing his mask at the chin, he had committed the offense before the new guidelines were in place,” he said.

Khairy stressed that the new guidelines were introduced after a public outcry over the amount.
“This guideline was issued after the public felt the compound amount was unreasonable and too high. I wish to remind also, after the Emergency Ordinance is annulled, this compound amount will return to maximum RM1,000 for individuals and organisations.”
There has been much concern about the compound amount given to an expatriate recently. Comparisons have been made to earlier compounds at a higher amount. Following complaints earlier this year of compound amounts being too high, new guidelines were introduced. pic.twitter.com/nIOnaMgQbO
— Khairy Jamaluddin 🇲🇾🌺 (@Khairykj) November 1, 2021
Do you think this explanation cuts it or not? Let us know in the comments!

Cover Images via Facebook, Twiter and WeirdKaya
Editor: Sarah Yeoh
