What was meant to be an auspicious Chinese New Year Eve celebration turned into a devastating tragedy after a 32-year-old man lost his lower left leg when a large fireworks box suddenly toppled and fired towards a crowd outside his home.
The incident occurred at about 12.30 am on Feb 16 at a residential area in Segamat.
Celebration after God of Fortune ritual turns tragic
According to the victim’s 72-year-old father, the family had just completed a traditional ritual to welcome the God of Fortune before his son decided to light a large fireworks box that was purchased locally, China Press reports.

The fireworks were placed in front of the house.
The victim stood about 60 feet away, roughly three houses apart, watching from a distance.
Several neighbours were also gathered nearby to enjoy the display.
The father said the large fireworks box began shaking due to the strong recoil force while it was being discharged.
Just as the fireworks were about to finish, the box suddenly toppled and started spraying towards the crowd,” he said.
In the chaos, someone shouted that an accident had happened.

When he turned around, he saw his son sitting on the ground with blood flowing heavily from his leg, holding onto his left foot.
Left leg severed below the knee
The continuous spray from the toppled fireworks box struck the man’s lower limb, severing his left leg below the knee at the scene.
Despite the severity of his injuries, the victim reportedly remained calm and asked his father to send him to the hospital immediately.
His father carried him into a car and rushed him to the emergency department at Segamat Hospital.
Doctors treated him for about six hours, cleaning his wounds and administering intravenous fluids before performing emergency surgery the following morning.
His left leg was amputated below the knee.
He was later transferred to another hospital on Feb 18 for further treatment.
His condition is currently reported to be stable.
Girlfriend injured in the incident
The flames from the fireworks also affected his 31-year-old foreign girlfriend, who was standing nearby at the time.
She sustained burns to parts of her left arm and left leg.
She has since been discharged but will require regular wound care to prevent infection.
No other bystanders were reported injured.
Victim is family’s main breadwinner
The victim’s father revealed that his youngest son is the main breadwinner of the family.
He said he had stopped driving a taxi due to deteriorating eyesight, while his eldest son is a person with disabilities.
The injured man, one of four siblings, had been financially supporting the household.
The victim and his girlfriend both work in Johor Bahru and had returned to Segamat to celebrate Chinese New Year with the family.
He had planned to resume work on Feb 20, but his father said the family now faces uncertainty about the future.
“I just hope my son recovers soon,” he said.
Police investigation underway
The fireworks box involved in the incident has been seized by police.
According to Malay Mail, the case is being investigated under Sections 6 and 8 of the Explosives Act 1957, which cover offences related to causing explosions that endanger life and the possession of explosive materials.
If convicted, those found guilty may face up to seven years’ imprisonment, a fine of up to RM10,000, or both.
Police have reminded the public to exercise caution when handling fireworks, especially large commercial units that may become unstable due to recoil force, and to ensure safety precautions are strictly followed during festive celebrations.
